The most prominent thing to be found in the majority of bathrooms is the bathtub. However, over time there are a number of things that can make it start looking ugly or if you are remodeling, it no longer matches the rest of the bathroom.
1. Indications that a Tub Needs Refinishing
Things that indicate work needs to be done on a bathtub include the following:
• Color does not match surroundings
Fortunately, it is now possible to refinish a bathtub and make it look new by using a process called Bathtub Refinishing/Re-Glazing.
2. Bathtub Replacement
A big attraction for refinishing vs replacing a bathtub is the cost. The average cost for a basic bathtub installation is $1500 to $3000. This does not include the length of time required, relocating plumbing, disturbing family routine and the many other things which are often involved.
Problems of complete replacement:
• Tub usually must be re-aligned
• There is wood dust in the air from wall joints
• There is a great deal of noise
• Job can take several days depending on job site, relocation, etc.
• Tub cannot be used until installation is completed (can involve up to a week)
• Excess materials must be disposed of
3. Advantages of Refinishing the Tub
There are numerous advantages to refinishing your bathtub in Charlotte rather than replacing your bathtub.
• Can change color to match bathroom walls or accents
• Bathtub surrounds remain in place
• Work completed in a few hours
• Bathtub can be used 24 hours after being refinished
• Less expensive than replacement
• Does not allow water between tub and wall which can happen if tub liners are used instead of refinishing
• Tub refinishing surface can last 10 to 15 years
• Works well with tubs located in alcoves, corners or other odd shaped locations
4. Refinishing Process
Technicians who refinish bathtubs require a great deal of experience in order to do a job that is satisfactory and long-lasting. However, the entire refinishing process only requires the skills of one person so there are a number of installation problems avoided. These problems include a number of people going in and out of the house, loud noises such as hammering, hauling out debris. tearing out walls or flooring and so forth.
When doing a refinishing job, an experienced technician employs the latest techniques and safety procedures as follows:
• Dons a special protective suit and a respirator
• Properly vents the bathroom
• Masks surfaces around the tub, such as the surround, wall and floor
• Removes caulk and applies hydrofluoric acid to the tub’s surface
(This highly toxic acid dissolves the porcelain glaze and etches the surface so the new finish will stick).
• Washes away the hydrofluoric acid and applies new caulk
• Tub is dried by the use of a fan
• Two coats of fast-drying primer epoxy are sprayed on the tub
• Tub is cleaned to remove dust particle or other debris
• 3 coats of white or colored Acrylic polyurethane finish sprayed.
• Job finished – time elapsed approximately 4 hours
At no time are the home’s residents subjected to fumes, loud noises or other things that can be especially annoying.
5. Contacting a Reputable Company
As with any kind of work that involves people in and out of your home, it is essential that you employ a contractor that is established and has a good reputation. This will assure that your possessions are safe and you will be treated with the utmost courtesy at all times.
Such a company will:
• Be licensed, bonded and insured
• Be willing to demonstrate before and after results of bathtub refinishing
• Have highly trained employees
• Explain the time required to complete the process
• Be willing to come to your home, look at the job and provide a free estimate
At Renov8 it has been our pleasure to serve customers in the Charlotte NC area for a number of years. We have been able to help restore bathtubs to their original appearance or, when desired, change them to a color that compliments new bathroom innovations.
Give us a call today at 704-807-9764 and let us help you make your bathtub look like new again on your time schedule.